"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels...but don't think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock, The Reichenbach Fall



Friday, January 3, 2014

Vegan Cinnamon Rolls (Bread Machine)

I made these using my breadmaker on the dough setting.

Here is the recipe, altered to make it vegan:

  • 1 TBSP ground flax seed + 1 cup water at room temperature (whisk until foamy, then add to bread pan first
  • ¼ cup oil (I used vegetable)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3½ cups flour (I used all purpose)
  • 1½ tsp active dry yeast
Place ingredients in bread maker pan in order presented.  Prepare using your bread maker's dough setting.

Prepare the filling:
  • 1/3 cup soft Earth Balance spread
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 TBSP cinnamon
Mix together and let set until dough is finished.

Once the dough is finished, roll out with rolling pin until it is flat, kind of like a square pizza.  USing a flat spatula, spread the filling all over the dough as one would pizza sauce on a pizza.  Then, roll the dough up jelly roll style.  Cut the roll into small cylindrical shapes (a kitchen knife will do fine).  Next, place the cinnamon rolls on one or two flat cookie sheets to prepare for baking.

In a warm place (we heated our oven to 170º then turned it off and placed the pans inside) let the buns rise for about 45 minutes.  Once the buns have finished rising, preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Bake the cinnamon buns for 25-30 minutes.

Prepare the icing:
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 3 TBSP almond milk
  • ¼ tsp vanilla
(I doubled the recipe to make more icing)

Once the buns are finished baking, take out of oven, pour icing over them, let cool a bit, then ENJOY!

Update:
Sadly, I think 1TBSP of ground flax seed is way too much.  Also, perhaps one would do better to use bread flour.  And do NOT double the filling.  It melts and ends up really nasty.  I may try this again, but I think I will use applesauce instead of flax seed.  These were positively dreadful.


No comments:

Post a Comment