"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels...but don't think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock, The Reichenbach Fall



Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Positively Pantry Chili and Vegan Cornbread

Tonight's dinner features Positively Pantry Chili from Vegan on the Cheap and vegan cornbread (with some modifications) here.  I used homemade vegan sour cream (made from the recipe in VotC) instead of plain silken tofu, and I used regular sugar instead of turbinado sugar.  The way I am trying out new recipes this week, you'd think it was the Vegan MoFo.  But no, it's just me, trying to save money AND eat better.

One of the ingredients of the chili:  Asian BBQ sauce (it doesn't call for that; that is what I used because it is what I have).  I loved the aroma coming from the slow cooker when I opened my front door this afternoon after a long day.  It tasted fairly good, though, Brian did say it was too spicy for him.  I think I will cut back on the chili powder when I make it again.  The cornbread was seriously delicious; we ate half of it, and have half left for another meal.  This recipe, with some continued modification (I also need not to use so much water) is definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment