Oh, I am making vegan brown bread:
· 2 cups soy milk
· 2 Tbsp. vinegar
· 4 cups whole wheat flour
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, at room temperature
· 1 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
3. Sift together the flours in a large bowl. Using your fingers, rub the margarine into the flours, forming a crumbly mixture. Add the salt and baking soda.
4. Make a well in the center and gradually add the soy milk mixture, mixing constantly. Add only enough to make the dough soft but still manageable.
5. Knead inside the bowl for 30 seconds.
6. Remove to a lightly floured baking sheet and use the palm of your hand to flatten into a 1 1/2–inch-thick disk. Use a knife to score a cross in the center.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 15 minutes. If the crust is too hard, cover it in a damp tea cloth. Let cool.
Makes 4 servings