"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels...but don't think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock, The Reichenbach Fall



Sunday, October 23, 2011

Good news and tonight's dinner

Two things:

First, I have lost two more pounds.  Considering the fact that I do my worst eating in the summer, that is not too awfully bad.  But I can do better.  MORE FRUIT PLEASE.

Secondly:  We're having the following for dinner tonight.  It is another of my favorite recipes.  It is a veganized version of a recipe for Sage Squash and Pasta I found on the Better Homes and Gardens site.


Butternut Squash and Pasta With Sage

From Better Homes and Gardens: 

Browned butter and sage help to flavor this simple pasta dish. This is a delicious way to enjoy butternut squash, or use another winter squash or pumpkin in this dish. I love it just the way it is, but feel free to add some cooked white beans or baby lima beans for extra protein. Use rombi pasta, farfalle, or a similar flat or ruffled pasta.

 To veganize this recipe, I have replaced the butter with Earth Balance, and Parmesan cheese with vegan Parmesan flavor topping.  You could also top with nutritional yeast if you like.

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium butternut squash, about 2 pounds
  • 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 ounces rombi, farfalle, or similar flat or ruffled pasta
  • 4 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan spread or margarine
  • 2 dozen sage leaves
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan flavor topping

Preparation:

Heat oven to 375°.
Using a vegetable peeler, peel the squash. Scoop out seeds and cut into 1/2- to 1-inch cubes. Combine squash, chopped onion, and 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss to coat and spread out in a large jelly roll pan or roasting pan.
Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned, turning about halfway through the roasting time.
Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on the package; drain and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
In a large saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat, cook Earth Balance and sage leaves until the butter begins to brown. When the sediment turns medium brown, add the garlic and continue cooking for about 1 minute. Do not let the solution burn. Remove from heat and remove the sage with a slotted spoon; use a spoon to crumble. Add the cooked and drained pasta to the mixture, along with the crumbled sage and roasted butternut squash and onions. Put back on the heat and continue cooking stirring, until pasta and squash are hot. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Toss with the 1/2 cup of  vegan Parmesan type topping just before serving.  Serves 4-6


Now, some things I'm doing differently tonight:  I'm sautéing the onions with the Earth Balance instead of roasting them, because I forgot to chop up an onion when I was peeling and cutting up the squash.  Secondly, I am not using fresh sage leaves.  Instead, I'm adding about 1½ teaspoons of dried sage when I add the pasta.  I think that is all the changes.  I'll post again if I make any others.




No comments:

Post a Comment