"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels...but don't think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock, The Reichenbach Fall



Monday, October 17, 2011

Eating vegan - a new beginning

I'm too late for the Vegan Month of Food (Vegan MoFo), but I can add a few things here and there, and chronicle my journey into the heart of veganness.

I've been vegan since March of this year (2011 just to be sure). I remember the last time I ate meat. I've had some slip-ups into stuff that had egg or cheese ingredients, but those can be counted on less than one hand. Fortunately, most people are really supportive, and tell me right off if something has animal ingredients in it. Though I started out doing this for health reasons, I realize now, I'm staying for the animals. If I don't eat cats, dogs or rabbits, why should I eat chickens, pigs or cows? They too have a face.

Anyway...

Vegan Gado-Gado


Ingredients



  • 1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil

  • 2 cloves garlic—finely chopped or pressed

  • 1 medium onion, minced

  • 1 cup coconut milk or other skim milk or soy milk

  • 1 cup water

  • 6 tablespoons natural peanut butter

  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce

  • 4 teaspoons brown sugar

  • ½ teaspoon sambal oelek (Indonesian chili sauce) (substitute hot sauce if you do not have the sambal oelek)

  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Steamed veggies such as chopped cabbage, broccoli, cooked cubed potatoes, boiled eggs, raw bean sprouts (carrots are not very authentic, but I like them anyway) Use what you have on hand. I've also tried it with rice, and with pasta.


Directions
HEAT the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the garlic for 1 minute, stirring constantly to brown. ADD the remaining ingredients, except the lemon juice, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring regularly until the sauce reaches a creamy consistency. ADD the lemon juice, and stir to combine.
Once ready, pour over vegetables, and ENJOY!

Our family has this about once a week, and my kids LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment