"Oh, I may be on the side of the angels...but don't think for one second that I am one of them." - Sherlock, The Reichenbach Fall



Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mac and cheese - vegan of course

It has been a while since I wrote anything here.  I had surgery on my right knee on December 16th, 2014, and am in recovery.  For a while I didn't do much in the kitchen.  But I'm back, and blogging about my culinary misadventures.
My son Brian came up with a recipe that is easy-peasy, and sates my craving for mac & cheese: 

Make the cashew cheese from the book Isa Does It:  (the original recipe this is found in is here)


White sauce:
1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch

I usually just use my blender to make this.  And instead of water, I use vegetable stock, or vegetable broth.  It makes it a bit tangier, and more cheese-like to me.

Cook the pasta of your choice (I like small shells) according to package directions.  I would use about 2 cups of dry pasta.  Drain.  Then, in a greased casserole dish, mix the pasta with the white sauce until all pasta is coated.  Top with Daiya cheddar flavor shreds, or shredded Teese, whichever you prefer. 

Bake at 350ºF for about 25 minutes.  Take out of the oven, cool a bit, and EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment